Monday, March 1, 2010

Why I'm doing this

There is a lot of information on the best way to build garden ponds. I have built a couple over the years and I would like to share my experiences to maybe help those contemplating building one.

I had a good friend die of an inoperable brain tumor. He was given 3 months to live after a doctor visit to diagnose a headache. One of the many things I learn from Mike was what's really important in life and in passing.

After learning of one's impending demise, one usually thinks of all the things one wants to do before they die. Common items include long vacations, telling bosses off or some other exotic adventure.

Mike's goal for his last days were not for himself, but for his family. Over the years, he had built a large garden with a pond and loved to tinker with them every chance he had. He realized how much work was involved to maintain the pond, so his first priority was to find a way to lessen the burden of his passing on his family. He talked with several landscapers and decided to eventually fill in the pond, as the constant cleaning would prove to be just to much work for them.

The pond I just inherited after moving into a new house has a similar story. The husband had passed away a few years earlier and no one had done anything past feeding the fish for several years. The water was so brown that you could only see the fish when the came to the surface to feed.

So, thinking about how much time I have spent on draining ponds to clean the muck off the bottom, cleaning filters, shoveling muck and moving rock, I have decided to rebuild my current pond to be as user friendly as possible.

So, stay tuned as I share the process to rebuild my pond.


In memory of my good friend Mike Zoladz. May the grass always be green there.


I'm no expert, so use the information provided at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment